Thursday, January 3, 2013

New Release: "Parable" by Fake Furs

Coincidentally, almost a year to the day, I'm doing another post about the Fake Furs. I really believe in the bands that I mention here. So it's of no surprise that these guys appear, yet again!

Huh!?
The band has given fans a savory gift for Christmas: Parable. This song is considered part of their "Follow The Guns" album. However, I downloaded the album about a year ago and, sadly, this song wasn't originally on it. (It is available for individual download on their website. See above link.)

Whats to Hear?
This band creates musical gems, and there is no doubt about it. I love both Sonny's thrashing drums and Laszlo's mellow voice. However, to me this song sounds nothing like other songs I've heard from them before. I even had to do a retake when I started listening to it. The sound is more mature and connected to the basic sounds of current popular music (yes, I mean pop). It sounds like the something that would be the  soundtrack song to a close group of young adults going to Venice Beach on the weekend and having a mischievous joyful summer day.
I've been more partial to their slow melodic jams, but I was surprised to find Parable very enjoyable. It was a bittersweet song to me. From the beginning I thought, "Oh crap... is this going to corny?" as the first 5 seconds of the song rang free. However, it was quite fun to listen to. I can see myself bumping this song on my way to a club somewhere. Definitely worth a listen.

The Poetry
I'm a big fan of the poetry behind the lyrics of a song. This song didn't have quite the poetic elements I like in songs but had a very creative message that made the song a double winner. It appears to be (very poetically so) about a rekindled connection. It's about the yearning for someone that once existed inside the speaker's life and for one stubborn reason or another was separated. This is the speakers ultimate plea to "meet [him] at the edge of time" and "rewind." It concludes to be a very positive peace about second chances. Well told.

Fan Commentary
"To me, its a very solid song. Its the type that when you listen to the intro, it hooks you. I feel its a very good combination of melody and lyrics. Personally, I was attracted by the soothing vocals and he combined that with a melody that maintains you awake and engaged." - Arturo Peraza

Well Shut Up, Already!

Click to Listen

1 comment: